Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Which way to go?

I started this blog to put out an idea I had to make an rpg that worked with playing solitaire.  I'm no game designer by any means nor am I a writer (which will become very obvious).  I love role playing games and is trying to figure out a way to play on my own in the easiest way possible.  I'm a lazy gamer I suppsose. 

So far the game is going to be based off the lists.  I've gotten some feedback on including other modifiers to the yes/no choices, which is great.  John from World Vs Hero mentioned something along the lines of having key words in the format.  Think (blank) Success of (blank) or (blank) Failure of (blank).  The latter would probably have either the full choice listed, or a few lists of "Success of/Failure of" and the "blank" as their own lists.  Not sure. 

The way I'm thinking, one would be asking closed questions and getting your answer, while the other strikes me as more flowing in a way. 

Let's say you had the same scenario of a character trying to jump a ravine while being chased by a goon.  In both instances I'll give an example of passing or failing the task.

Yes/No
The hero runs towards the edge and leaps for the other side.  Does the hero make it?  Yes, but so does the goon.
The hero runs towards the edge and leaps for the other side.  Does he make it?  No, but the water below breaks the heroes fall.

The other one
The hero runs towards the edge and leaps for the other side and in a Stunning Success of Strength, easily clears the ravine.
The hero runs towards the edge and leaps for the other side and in a Dismal Failure of Agility, stumbles and crashes down into the water below.

The first example of yes/no would be pretty easy for a list, but I'm not sure of where else to go with it at this point mechanically.

The second example, aside from needing work, would allow a character to have key words that tie into the success/failure choice.   You could have the first "blank" being those descriptors of the Success/Failure and the second "blank" being what ability/skill/whatever you wanted to use that was a part of your character.  I haven't hashed out any sory of character creation yet, but the idea I have for now would be more on the descriptive side than numerical.

1 comment:

  1. Are you not playing Solitaire on your mobile device? Download SOLITAIRE (Suitable for iOS and Android)

    ReplyDelete